El Toboso – Villa de Don Fadrique (27,0 km)
You leave El Toboso following a dirt road following the street Monjas Trinitarias, cross the road to Miguel Esteban and follow the path to the left passing in front and leaving on the right a shed of light without service.
To Quintanar de la Orden is a walk on plain ground. Walk along a part of the Moorish path towards Toledo.
The route is marked with scallop ceramics. One enters Quintanar de la Orden through the hermitage of Santa Ana, crosses the national road Madrid-Alicante and opposite is the old Rollo or picota, where the thugs received their punishment and served as a warning to walkers. By the street of the Queen Amalia the pilgrim arrives at the center-town.
Quintanar, dependent on the Order of Santiago, has a beautiful 16th century Gothic temple dedicated to Santiago de la Espada, which was built over the old mosque. There are still remains of the old hospital called de la Concepción de la Madre de Dios.
- Town Hall: Plaza de la Constitución, 1. Tel: 925 180 750
- Hostal San Francisco: C/ San Francisco de Asís, 24. Tel: 925 564 397
- Hostal Mirasol: Av. San Fernando, 106. Tel: 925 180 293.
- Hostal Santa Marta: Madrid road. Tel: 925 180 350
From the Town Hall, follow the Grano Square, Iglesia Street, Miguel Echegaray Square, Concepción, Grande Street a few meters, Tejeros Street, Juan Carlos I Avenue, Colón Avenue or Ramón y Cajal Street, in the roundabout the Reyes Católicos Avenue, you pass in front of the Bus Station to look for the old railway line, today transformed into a green line.
PUEBLA DE ALMORADIEL
The route is marked with scallop ceramics. You enter La Puebla through Juan Carlos I street, leaving the Cristo hermitage on the left.
This town also belonged to the Order of Santiago and its church is dedicated to San Juan Bautista. There is another hermitage dedicated to the Virgin of Egido, of great devotion.
- Parish hostel for pilgrims: Plaza de la Iglesia, 1. Tel. de la Parroquia: 925 178 161. 3 plazas
- Rural House “El Cigüela”: C/ Santa María Magdalena, 11 B. Tel.: 649 215 750
- Rural Complex “La Vega del Zurrón”: C/ Veracruz s/n. Tel: 649 382 011 and 661 918 672
Continue to Villa de Don Fadrique taking the street behind the church and the Veracruz street, leaving the road that leads to the Zurron Mill. Cross the river Cigüela and, when you reach a crossroads, take the road facing the left. After passing the dividing line between provinces, pass in front of the Casa Nueva del Marqués, continuing without leaving the Vereda de Quintanar until you reach the Villa de Don Fadrique.
VILLA DE DON FADRIQUE
The route is marked with scallop ceramics. You enter through Quintanar y Oriente Street, Vergara, Plaza de España.
- Municipal Hostel in the Sports Centre: Call the Local Police. Tel: 679 985 413. Call beforehand, especially if you are going to arrive on weekends. Mattresses
- Town Hall: Plaza de España, 1. Tel: 925 195 061
- El Rincón del Infante” Rural House: Plaza Mayor, nº 2. Tel: 615 187 921 and 925 195 651. (Price for pilgrims 20 €)
The town of Don Fadrique belonged to the Order of Santiago and its church is dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. The North door is nailed with scallops. The parish house was a former pilgrim hospital. It owes its name to the Grand Master of the Order of Santiago, Don Fadrique de Castilla who made it a town in 1384. It conserves several mansions-palaces.